Invisalign treatment at Smile Team Orthodontics
Invisalign is an innovative method of straightening teeth without brackets or wires. The aligners are made of clear plastic and look similar to teeth whitening trays or thin sports mouthguards. These aligners fit snugly against your teeth and are completely removable. Each set of aligners is worn for two weeks. After two weeks, you simply remove it and replace it with the next set in your custom-made series.
Five benefits of Invisalign
- Virtually invisible: One of the best features of Invisalign is the aligners are virtually invisible. This makes them an excellent option for people who are concerned about their appearance during orthodontic treatment, particularly teenagers who can be very self-conscious.
- Completely removable: Another attractive feature of Invisalign is the aligners are completely removable, which means you can eat and drink as usual. There is no bracket bonded to your teeth as with traditional braces, which also makes brushing and flossing easier too! You can even remove your aligners for a few hours during a special occasion when you want to look your best, but it is important to wear them for at least 23 hours a day for best results.
- Comfortable: Clients generally say Invisalign aligners are quite comfortable to wear. And, because there are no metal wires or brackets, there is no irritation to your cheeks and gums either.
- Shorter treatment time: While treatment times vary based on specific orthodontic needs, the average treatment time with Invisalign is just 14 months. This is significantly shorter than with traditional braces, which is usually between 12 and 24 months.
- Custom-designed aligners: Align Technology, the manufacturer of Invisalign, will create a customised series of aligners just for you. First, we collect data about your teeth and your bite (digital photographs, digital x-rays and impressions for digital study models), then we design a treatment plan based on the final desired position of your teeth. We send all of this information to Align Technology, where advanced 3D computer imaging and manufacturing is used to create your aligners. Each aligner is custom-designed to exert pressure on certain teeth at a specific time in your treatment. The number of aligners varies and will depend on your specific needs, but the average number of aligners in a series is 24.